The banana livelihood Diversification project
Project Summary: Reducing Vulnerability To Climate Change Through Value Added Activities In The Banana Sector -Enhancing Food Security And Employment Generation.
Executing agency/s/partners: MAAIF and MTIC, in partnership with UNIDO through the Global Environment Facility-GEF
Geographical location: Districts of Mbarara, Isingiro, Bushenyi, Mitooma, Ntungamo, Sheema, Rubirizi, and Buhweju.
To support vulnerable communities in Western Uganda to better adapt to the effects of climate change (CC) through banana value addition activities, to provide greater opportunities for income generation, poverty reduction and food security
Expected project outputs
- Capacities for communities to engage in livelihood diversification value addition activities such as: solar drying of fresh bananas; banana juice production and wine making developed.
- Small scale processing facilities in target regions for vulnerable communities to engage in income diversification through banana value addition activities established,
- Banana-based products from income diversification activities effectively marketed in Bushenyi, Mbarara, Masaka, Kampala and other locations with good marketing potential
- Quality seed (Disease free seeds) and ensuring constant supply developed.
- Community-based banana tissue culture industry established
- Bio-digesters at community level to convert banana waste into biogas installed,
- By-products from the bio-digesters utilized as fertilizers to improve soil fertility
- Up scaling technologies to other regions of the country
- Lessons learned and best practices from policy changes, capacity development initiatives and pilot plants disseminated
- Guidelines on best practices, knowledge dissemination tools and communication products produced.
- Programme to develop and implement a favorable policy and institutional framework that will facilitate a coordinated development of the banana industry.(Climate Change Adaptation (CCA) mainstreamed into National Development Policy/ Strategies)
- Investment to increase banana production and contribute to food and income security also poverty reduction in rural areas
- Dissemination of information and expansion of the strategy and project benefits
- Project Management (including Quality control, Monitoring and Evaluation)
- The UMFSNP project
- Banana Livelihood Diversification project
- Uganda-China Cooperation
- The ACDP project
- The VODP2
- The ENRP project
- The ATAAS project
- The PISD project
- The RPLRP project
- The MOBIP project
- The Goat Export Project